Friday, January 29, 2010

Andy's superstar







Ever since I learned of Edie Sedgwick I've been fascinated with her. She is such a style inspiration to me with her close crop hair, signature black tights and chandelier earrings. I guess I must be drawn to tragic characters though because I'm in the middle of reading her biography Edie American Girl and I can hardly put the thing down. For those who aren't familiar with her she was best known as one of Andy Warhol's muses in the 60's but she was also an artist, actress, model, socialite, and heiress. Vogue magazine named her a youthquaker. All those titles made it seem like she had a pretty grand life but I've learned that a lot of the time it was completely the opposite. Even from the very start she had to endure things that no one should. A quote on the back of the book said it best. " The Pop Art world of the 60's: the sex, drugs, fashion, music- the mad rush for pleasure and fame. All glitter and flash on the outside, it was hollow and desperate within- like Edie herself, and like her mentor Andy Warhol."











No comments:

Post a Comment